Limited Scope Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS FSEIS)
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), in cooperation with the Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) and the City of Burlington, has issued a Limited-Scope Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS FSEIS) for the Burlington Southern Connector/Champlain Parkway between Interstate 189 and Main Street in Burlington, Vermont.
View the Limited Scope Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS FSEIS)
A letter from the City of Burlington, Department of Public Works announcing the release of the LS FSEIS can be viewed HERE.
A letter from the Federal Highway Administration announcing the release of the LS FSEIS can be viewed HERE.
For more information about the Limited-Scope Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS FSEIS), please contact the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ကန ့်သတ့်ချက့်ရ ှိ-လုပ့်ဆဆောင့်ချက့်နယ့်ပယ့် ဆနောက့်ဆ ုုံးထွက့်ရ ှိ သဘောဝပတ့်ဝန့်ုံးကျင့်အဆပေါ်အကျှိ ုံးသက့်ဆ ောက့်မှု တှိုုံးတက့်ဆ ုံးဆှိုင့် ော စောတမ့်ုံး(LS FSEIS) အဆ ကောင့်ုံးပှိုမှိုသှိရ ှိလှိုပါက ပဆ ောဂျက့်အဖွ ွဲ့ကှို email@example.com မ တဆင ့်ဆက့်သွယ့်ပါ။
Pour plus d'informations sur la déclaration de l’étude d'impact environnemental supplémentaire à portée limitée (LS DSEIS), veuillez contacter l'équipe du projet au firstname.lastname@example.org.
सीमित-क्षेत्र मिर्णायक पूरक वणतणवरर्ीय प्रभणव मववरर् (LSFSEIS) बणरे थप जणिकणरीकण लणमि, कृपयण पररयोजिण टोलीलणई email@example.com ण सम्पका ििनाहोस्।
Macluumaad dheeri ah oo ku saabsan Qoraalka Saameynta Deegaanka ee Xaddidan (LS FSEIS), fadlan kala xiriir kooxda mashruuca firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ili upate habari zaidi kuhusu Uwepo wa Taarifa Nyogeza za Mwisho za Athari kwenye Mazingira(LS FSEIS), Tafadhali wasiliana na timu ya mpango kwenye email@example.com.
2020 Limited Scope Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS DSEIS)
In accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the City of Burlington in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration and the Vermont Agency of Transportation, prepared a Limited Scope Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS DSEIS) for the Champlain Parkway. The LS DSEIS was distributed for public and agency review on July 10, 2020.
The NEPA comment period for the Limited Scope Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS DSEIS) closed on Monday, August 24, 2020.
Now that the NEPA comment period has closed, the team is developing a Limited Scope Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (LS FSEIS). This document will include written responses to all comments received during the comment period. The LS FSEIS will be submitted to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for review.
Based on the current project schedule, it is anticipated that the LS FSEIS will be issued in Spring 2021. When the LS FSEIS is released, it will be available on the project website.
FHWA could either request changes to the project based on the Limited Scope of this Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) or issue a Record of Decision (ROD). Based on the current project schedule, a ROD could be issued in late 2021.
Please refer to the links below to review the LS DSEIS by chapter:
- Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 - Purpose of LS DSEIS
- Chapter 2 - Project Description and History
- Chapter 3 - Alternatives
- Chapter 4 -Environmental Justice Analysis
- Chapter 5 - Scoping, Agency Coordination & Public Participation
- Chapter 6 - Affected Environment
- Chapter 7 - Environmental Consequences and Mitigation
- Chapter 8 - Distribution List for 2020 LS DSEIS
- Appendix 1 - Correspondence
- Appendix 2 - Traffic Analyses
- Appendix 3 - Historical/Archaeological
- Appendix 4 - Census Data
- Appendix 5 - VTrans Noise Analysis and Abatement Policy
- Appendix 6 - September 26, 2019 Public Outreach Meeting Materials
- Appendix 7 - Public Comments and Responses
- Appendix 8 - 2019 Champlain Parkway NEPA Reevaluation
- Appendix 9 - 2020 Champlain Parkway NEPA Reevaluation
The Department of Public Works hosted a Public Hearing on Wednesday, July 29, 2020. The meeting was conducted in-person and via Zoom. In in-person meeting was held in the DPW's semi-open garage. The number of attendees were limited and participates were required to follow applicable safety precautions. The public hearing was held in-person and via Zoom. The Public Hearing recording and the Public Hearing presentation are available for viewing.
Historical NEPA Documentation
The project has a long history with NEPA reviews dating back to the 1970s. The most recent NEPA document for the project was a Final Supplemental EIS approved by FHWA on September 22, 2009, and a Record of Decision (ROD) issued on January 13, 2010, identifying the Selected Alternative and the reasons for its selection.
On October 11, 2019, FHWA published a notice to rescind the 2010 ROD in order to re-evaluate the project's impacts to minority and low-income populations in accordance with 23 CFR 771.129. This decision reads, in part, "The FHWA, in conjunction with VTrans, has determined that the ROD shall be rescinded for the following reason: Although the 2005 Draft SEIS and the 2009 Final SEIS each considered disproportionately high and adverse impacts on minority and low-income populations in accordance with Executive Order 12898, public outreach for the analysis was limited to the general public involvement associated with the NEPA process. FHWA and VTrans have decided to perform targeted public outreach to any minority and low-income population in the project study area in order to determine whether the conclusions reached in the 2009 FSEIS and 2010 ROD remain valid. FHWA and VTrans have also determined that the environmental justice analysis and conclusions in the NEPA review should be reassessed using the latest (2014-2018 5-year estimates) American Community Survey data and based on FHWA's December 16, 2011, Guidance on Environmental Justice and NEPA." Based on the environmental reevaluation, FHWA determined that a LS DSEIS should be prepared for the project to address the FHWA guidance and methodology for performing Environmental Justice (EJ) analysis subsequent to the 2009 FSEIS, incorporate updated demographic information contained in the latest available census data, and to provide additional opportunities for meaningful public involvement.
Links to the documents are below:
Or download the FSEIS document by chapter:
- Executive Summary (Opens in a new window) (2.4MB)
- Chapter 1 - Project Purpose and Need (Opens in a new window) (2MB)
- Chapter 2 - Alternatives (Opens in a new window) (6.4MB)
- Chapter 3 - Affected Environment (Opens in a new window) (14.1MB)
- Chapter 4 - Environmental Consequences (Opens in a new window) (10.4MB)
- Chapter 5 - Section 4(f) Analysis (Opens in a new window) (1.6MB)
- Chapter 6 - Scoping, Agency Coordination and Public Participation (Opens in a new window) (929KB)
- Chapter 7 - Preparers (Opens in a new window) (909KB)
- Chapter 8 - Distribution List for 2009 Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (Opens in a new window) (925MB)
- Chapter 9 - Acronyms (Opens in a new window) (1.2MB)
- Appendix 1 - Correspondence (Opens in a new window) (11.4MB)
- Appendix 2 - Environmental Data Report (Opens in a new window) (3.1MB)
- Appendix 3 - Supporting Traffic Analyses and Technical Documentation (Opens in a new window) (93.4MB)
- Appendix 4 - State of Vermont 303(d) List (Opens in a new window) (1MB)
- Appendix 5 - Historical Archaeological (Opens in a new window) (1.8MB)
- Appendix 6 - Census Data - Burlington, VT (Opens in a new window) (3.3MB)
- Appendix 7 - VTrans Noise Analysis and Abatement Policy (Opens in a new window) (1.7MB)
- Appendix 8 - 2006 Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement Public Hearing (Opens in a new window) (9.3MB)
- Appendix 9 - Responses to Comments on the 2006 DSEIS (Opens in a new window) (3.1MB)
- Appendix 10 - Pine Street Barge Canal Superfund Site Boundary Maps (Opens in a new window) (1.3MB)